In the realm of ADHD and anxiety, finding effective strategies for cultivating focus, mindfulness, inner peace, and self-awareness can be a major task for parents.
Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental condition involving challenges of focus, inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity, distractions which impact the daily functioning and academic performance of young minds.
There is no single cause of ADHD, but it is believed to be caused by a combination of genetic, environmental, and neurological factors. It is typically diagnosed in childhood and can be treated with a combination of medication, therapy, and lifestyle changes.
The studies conducted by Jensen, P. S., & Kenny, D. T. (2004) and Harrison, L. J., & Manocha, R. (2014), demonstrated that mindfulness practices, including yoga, and deep breathing were effective in improving the well-being and attention of children.
7 Yoga Poses to Improve Focus and Attention in Children with ADHD
Holistic practices like yoga have also shown promise in enhancing focus and self-awareness in children with ADHD. Not only does yoga help with physical health, but it also establishes a safe space for children to connect with their bodies and emotions, equipping them with essential coping mechanisms that will serve them into adulthood. Here are some recommendations for children with ADHD:
- Child's Pose (Balasana): Child's Pose is among the most relaxing yoga poses for kids. The gentle asana calms the mind, stretches the back, and opens the hips. This calming pose helps in relaxation and reduces anxiety and restlessness.
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana): Downward-Facing Dog yoga pose helps children release tension in the body by stretching their shoulders, spine, and hamstrings. It also promotes strength and flexibility and improves digestion. This pose promotes blood flow to the brain, improving concentration and focus.
- Happy Baby Pose: Happy Baby Pose is best practised before final relaxation as it helps to ground your students and provide a nourishing release. This relaxing kids' yoga pose for ADHD can also fight fatigue, calm the mind, and stretch the back and hips.
- Tree Pose (Vriksasana): The tree pose is a balancing pose, which creates focus, concentration, grounding and stability while calming the mind and nervous system.Helps in attaining mental clarity.
- Seated Forward Bend (Paschimottanasana): Seated Forward Bend benefits spine mobility and overall flexibility. It adds to the calmness of the mind and reduces anxiety reduces stress.
- Warrior Pose II (Virabhadrasana): This pose encourages strength and stability, which can help children feel grounded and focused. Warrior II represents the Hero focusing on his target which improves the focus in children, especially those with ADHD.
- Corpse Pose (Savasana): To completely relax children's muscles (even in a situation of anxiety or hyperactivity), you need to first stiffen and then slowly relax the body, one part at a time. This Corpse Pose is the final relaxation pose that helps in deep relaxation and reduces hyperactivity.
Yoga practices, along with deep breathing techniques like belly breathing, should be incorporated into children's lives by teachers, parents, and caregivers. This can improve their focus, mobility, strength, endurance, and ensure a calm mind. Such mindful practices can help prepare children to deal with multiple challenges and stressors in their adult lives
LOVE AND SUPPORT ALWAYS....!!