Congratualations, You have managed to raise your infant into a todddler now. But this age of toddlerhood is way to intersting but challenging too. After a baby’s first birthday, the rate of growth begins to slow down but your baby becomes very active. Young children/ toddler between the ages of 1-3years, are typically more energetic, inquisitive, and communicative.
The toddler years are a time of great cognitive, emotional and social development. During this stage, your child might start using language, gain the ability to stand independently, and take a few strides.
Lets dig in to different aspects of milestones of toddler development.
1-2Year-Old Language and Communication Milestones:-
- Baby has started using basic gestures like waving and saying basic words like “mama” and “dada.”
- She is trying to talk, and imitate words after you.
- Responds to simple requests you give.
- Imitates animal sounds and noises.
- At one year, says four to six simple words; At 18 months, says 10 to 15 words; By 18 to 24 months, uses simple phrases or two-word sentences ; By 2 years, says 100 or more words.
1-2Year-Old Social and Emotional Milestones:-
- You’ll see your little one learning to connect with the people around him at 1 year
- She starts reacting to emotions; Cries when her parents leave.
- Is shy around strangers.
- May ask for parent’s help by pointing.
- Your little one wil have their favorite toys or books
- Will try to grab your attention. Afterall they were centre of attraction their whole infancy.
1-2Year-Old Brain Development /Cognitive Development Milestones:-
- Around 18 months old, your toddler's thinking skills drastically improve.
- By 18 months understands one-step questions and commands such as “Where is the ball?”
- Toddler looks at the right object when it is named.
- Can point to body parts (i.e., nose, hair, eyes) when asked
- Your 1-year-old will try to become independent in many ways.
- They start copying movements and gestures, bang things.
- Explore drawers, boxes to see whats in them.
1-2Year-Old Movement and Physical development Milestones:-
- Some babies begin to walk around 12 months old, while others wait a little longer (around 14 to 15 months).
- Gets into a sitting position without support.
- Climbs stairs while holding on.
- Loves Dancing with music.
- Plays with push and pull toys.
- Plays games like peek-a-boo, hide and seek.
- Toddler's ability to pick up objects with their thumb and forefinger improves, thus she can scribble.
1-2Year-Old Food and Nutrition development Milestones:-
- Drinks well from cup, if we hold it for them
- Baby is starting to learn how to eat on her own.
- Begins self eating, either with her fingers or a spoon.
- Start enjoying variety of textures, even solid food.
1-2Year-Old Behavioral Changes:
As our babies become more independent, they also start showing their personalities.
- Separation anxiety and fear of strangers may lessen after first year, but they begin to get clingy to their parents around 18 months.
- You might encounter few very common behavioral changes in them like saying "no” more frequently to commands of yours.
- They might starts showing temper tantrums and becomes more aggressive.
While all babies develop at slightly different rates, talk to a pediatrician if your child isn't meeting certain milestones or if you notice potential developmental delays such as:-
- Isn’t crawling till 1 year of age.
- Won't search for hidden objects.
- Is unable to stand without support.
- Doesn't point to show you things.
- Doesn't try to say three or more words besides “mama” or “dada”
LOVE AND SUPPORT ALWAYS...!!