During pregnancy, maintaining a healthy diet is a major concern and crucial for the well-being of both the mother and the growing baby. Our mothers and our sisters tend to say no to mangoes during pregnancy because of some random pregnancy myth just like papaya, and pineapple. It is too hard for a Mango lover to resist such a juicy and sweet pulpy fruit.
Let's just burst this myth in simple terms: Every fruit can be consumed during pregnancy, but of course in moderation.
Packed with essential nutrients, mangoes offer a range of health advantages that support the overall health and development of pregnant women and should be included in the pregnancy diet.
The Incredible Benefits of Eating Mangoes During Pregnancy.
- Rich Source of Vitamins and Minerals:
Mangoes are a nutritional powerhouse, loaded with vitamins and minerals. They are particularly abundant in vitamin C, which helps boost immunity and aids in the absorption of iron. Mangoes also contain vitamin A, vitamin E, potassium, and folate, all of which are vital for a healthy pregnancy.
- Folate for Neural Tube Development:
Folate, a crucial nutrient during pregnancy, plays a significant role in the development of the baby's neural tube, which eventually forms the brain and spinal cord. Mangoes provide a good amount of natural folate, contributing to the healthy development of the baby's nervous system. One ¾ cup serving of mango is a good source of folate, which is a key prenatal vitamin. Women who don't get enough folate are at risk of having babies with neural tube defects, such as spina bifida.
- Prevents Constipation:
Constipation is a common issue during pregnancy, and mangoes can help you with this problem. Being rich in dietary fiber, mangoes promote regular bowel movements, preventing constipation and improving overall digestive health.
- Provides required Antioxidants:
Mangoes are a fantastic source of antioxidants, including compounds like beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, and cryptoxanthin. These antioxidants help combat oxidative stress in the body, reducing the risk of chronic diseases and supporting the immune system.
- Hydration and Electrolyte Balance:
Staying hydrated is crucial during pregnancy, and mangoes can contribute to your daily fluid intake. With their high water content, mangoes help maintain proper hydration levels and support electrolyte balance.
- Give Natural Energy Boost: Pregnancy can sometimes leave women feeling tired. Mangoes offer a natural energy boost, thanks to their carbohydrate content and natural sugars. Enjoying a ripe mango can provide a refreshing and revitalizing energy boost.
- Helps in Stress Relief:
Pregnancy can bring about mood swings and increased stress levels. Mangoes contain compounds that help enhance mood and reduce stress, such as serotonin and glutamine acid.
Cautions and Tips:
As with any food, moderation is key. Enjoy mangoes as part of a well-balanced diet. But during pregnancy, you need to be a little more cautious.
- If you have gestational diabetes or any concerns about blood sugar levels, consult with your healthcare provider to determine appropriate mango consumption.
- As mangoes do contain allergens and can cause rashes, itching, and blisters around the lips one needs to be careful.
- Overconsumption of mangoes during the second trimester of pregnancy can also lead to gestational diabetes the complications of which are overweight babies, birth defects, etc.
- Opt for ripe mangoes to ensure optimal flavor and nutrient content.
- Wash mangoes thoroughly before consuming them to remove any potential pesticides or contaminants.
Other Untold Benefits of Mangoes
♦ Mango helps you boost your zinc and iron levels during your periods. Mango is also rich in ketone, which can improve your skin texture and reduce constipation.
♦ Tropical fruits like mango, papaya, guava, pineapple, and avocado are rich sources of fertility-friendly nutrients – antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and phytonutrients for both men and women.
♦ Mangoes are important for fertility because this help maintain hormonal balance, Their intake can help hormonal imbalances that occur postpartum
♦ Mangoes are a natural aphrodisiac that uplifts libido for better sexual performance
Also Read: Top 7 Quick and Unique Mango Recipes
LOVE AND SUPPORT ALWAYS....!!